- Check the general condition of driveways, patios and walks.
- Check window wells, dry wells and storm drains for blockage.
- Check fencing conditions and gate operation.
- Check retaining walls for cracks, bulges and leaning.
- Check all landscaping; trim all bushes and trees away from the house.
- Check that all surfaces drain rainwater away from the foundation.
- Check for proper grading and drainage throughout the property.
- Check lawn sprinkler system operation.
- Check all equipment in preparation for pool opening.
SIDING AND CHIMNEYS
- Check all surfaces for gaps, damage or deterioration.
- Check joints for the condition of flashing’s and caulking.
- Treat or paint worn or exposed wood components.
- Check the condition of masonry chimneys and metal vents.
- Check foundation for signs of new settlement, cracking or spalling.
WINDOWS AND DOORS
- Check for damaged screens or broken glass.
- Check weather stripping, caulking, and window putty.
- Check for frame decay or damage, especially at sills.
- Clean and install screens.
- Check and lubricate locks and hardware.
- Check for loose, damaged or missing roofing.
- Check fascia’s and soffits for signs of leaks or moisture build-up.
- Check all flashing’s for fit and seals.
- Check television antenna or satellite dish mounting.
- Check and clean all gutters and downspouts.
- Make sure downspouts direct water away roof juncture points and foundation.
- Clean fungi or algae from roof surfaces.
PORCH, DECK AND PATIO
- Check all wooden components for decay or insects damage.
- Check that all guardrail and handrails are secure.
- Check flooring and treads for wear or damage.
- Apply preservative to wood decking and components.
- Seal patios at foundation juncture.
- Contact your local Pest control company (check for termites, spray for bugs, spiders, etc.)
- Check attic, ceilings and walls for evidence of leaks.
- Check ventilation openings for nests, or other blockage.
- Check condition of all painted or finished walls and trim.
- Check carpet and flooring for wear or damage.
- Check condition of all stairs and railings.
- Check condition and operation of all windows and doors.
- Test smoke/fire alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Check for cracks or breaks in wall.
- Check for evidence of water infiltration or dampness.
- Check for decaying sills and window frames.
- Check for changes in framing conditions.
- Check crawlspace ventilation, insulation, and vapor retarders.
- Clean and test sump pump.
- Follow manufacturer instructions for HVAC systems maintenance.
- Inspect and install room air conditioners, if applicable.
- Clean all serviceable elements of the heating system.
- Make sure the outdoor cooling coils are clean and unobstructed.
- Change or clean heating and cooling system filters (regularly).
- Check venting systems for corrosion and leaks.
- Clean and de-energize humidifier.
- Check attic fan operation.
- De-winterize lines and check exterior faucets.
- Check water and waste piping for corrosion or leaks.
- Check hot water supply temperature setting.
- Follow manufacturer instructions for the water heater maintenance.
- Check well components.
- Check septic tank; pump if required.
- Check the condition and operation of all appliances.
- Caulk and grout tile at tubs and showers.
- Clean aerators and shower heads.
- Check and repair all leaking faucets and valves.
- Check all toilet flush mechanisms.
- Clean or change range fan filters.
- Check and flush jetted baths piping.
- Look for any signs of excess indoor moisture.
Does your home need a professional spring check-up? Contact your local HouseMaster office and schedule a home inspection to help you organize your maintenance needs.